Sunday 10 May 2009

In season: more asparagus


A few weeks ago I treated myself to a 'Tarte Maison' tin from John Lewis. Its a lovely thing, 3 times as long as its wide and calling out to have something pretty made in it. Initially I'd intended to make a rhubarb tart that I'd seen Jonathan (aka @Browners), over at 'Around Britain with a Paunch' mention on Twitter. I've not got to the rhubarb tart yet - mainly because we don't eat that many desserts so it just hasn't happened.

But this weekend I thought it would be nice to do something a little bit different with asparagus that still let it shine and played to its best qualities but moved away from simple steaming and dressing (much as I love it just steamed).

The tart tin seemed just the thing to show off the asparagus.

It was quick and easy:

1. Steam 10 asparagus spears until tender and then immediately plunge them into cold water so they retain their vibrant green colour. Cut each spear in half so you have a bottom end and an end with the tip on.
2. Grease the tart tin and then line with four layers of filo pastry (I needed 8 sheets which overlapped in the middle). Pour in baking beans and blind bake for 7 minutes at Gas 6/200C/400F. Remove from oven and careful remove the baking beans. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Lay the bottoms of the asparagus spears in the pastry case. Add soft goats cheese cut into small pieces (I used 100g of Pants y Gawn). Pour in beaten and seasoned eggs (it took 6 medium eggs).
4. Lay the tops of asaparagus spears on the eggy mix. Bake 20 minutes at Gas 6 until the mixture is firm. Allow to cool, admire, slice and serve.

5 comments:

Shaheen said...

As I still have not made a purchase of this seasonal vegetable, my husband is requesting that you please, please send a slice up to him to enjoy as he thinks he has got a long wait before I dish up an asparagus dish.

Karen said...

What a beautiful dish... I bet this was heavenly.

Suse said...

Aaaaah how nice is that!?

goodshoeday said...

Mangocheeks - not had any yet no wonder your husband is worried. Get some today.

Karen/Suse: thanks - the tarte maison tin gives it that extra special look but it was v tasty anyway!

Helen Yuet Ling Pang said...

Looks excellent! Look forward to seeing the tin in action again soon (a rhubarb tart would be lovely)...